July 08, 2013 02:26 PM PDT
The Mucho Soul Boys were away all last weekend in Margate at the big Soulgate On Sea fund raiser event so unfortunately our usual Likwid London Radio show podcast was put on hold. Later this week however, Ket & Al will be celebrating 20 Years of Atjazz Recordings with a whole host of top spinners at a big all day event at The Bedroom Bar in Shoreditch on Sunday Dec 4th. So to coincide we've made this very special Atjazz interview show available for you again! Recorded for Back2Back FM back in 2013 to help promote the release of the "More Than A Remix" 3xCD R2 release, we sat down in the studio for an in-depth chat with the main man of the moment Martin Atjazz! It's a fascinating journey that tracks Martin's musical career from it's very beginnings as a young computer enthusiast, through writing big orchestral scores for Tomb Raider etc during his time at Core Design. We also discussed his early dance and club days producing music during the trip-hop and nu-jazz period, his rising career as a prolific remixer, his popularity in South Africa and his current status as one of the UK's leading, in-demand producers and DJ's. The music featured is a trip in itself! So strap yourself in as we give you a respin of one of our most popular interview specials!..
Mucho Soul in Conversation with Martin Atjazz!
with D.J A.K.A (Alan Kenny Arscott) and Ket Shah
1. Little Big Bee - Searchin (Atjazz Remix) (Naked Music 1999)*
2. Harold Faltermyer - Axel F (M&M Mix) (MCA 1984)
3. Paul Hardcastle - Rain Forest (Bluebird 1984)
4. Martin Iveson/Peter Connelly/London Symphony Orchestra -
Tomb Raider Angel Of Darkness Theme (Core Design 2002)
5. John Frizzell - Alien Resurrection Main Theme (RCA 1997)
6. Martin Iveson/Peter Connelly/London Symphony Orchestra -
Karel (From Tomb Raider Angel Of Darkness) (Core Design 2002)
7. Atjazz - Wind and Sea (Diversions 1999)
8. Version - Nothing Can Be Nice (Atjazz Dub) (R2 Records 2013)*
9. Atjazz Ft. Ernesto - Put It On (Osunlade Mix) (Mantis Recordings 2006)
10. Atjazz & Julian Gomes - Overshadowed (Atjazz Galaxy Aart Dub) (Atjazz Record Co 2012)*
11. Atjazz Ft. Clara Hill - Sense Of Life (QB's Hot Mix) (Atjazz Record Co 2012)
12. Chez Damier and Ron Trent - Morning Factory (Prescription 1995)
13. James Dexter - Forward (Large 2013)
14. Musaria - Moment (Atjazz Remix) (Atjazz Record Co 2011)*
15. Mi Casa - La Vida (Atjazz Remix) (Soul Candi 2012)
16. Bob Sinclar - The Ghetto (Atjazz Remix) (Yellow Productions 1998)*
17. Jazzanova - Dance the Dance (Atjazz Remix) (Sonar Kollektiv 2004)*
18. Maddslinky Ft. Omar - Special (Atjazz Love Soul Remix) (Tru Thoughts 2010)*
19. Leon Ware - On The Beach (Atjazz Love Soul Remix) (Expansions 2011)*
20. Monday Michiru - Epiphany (Atjazz Remix)*
21. At One Ft. Wyoma - African Healing Dance (Atjazz Remix)*
22. Boddhi Satva - Who Am I (Atjazz Love Soul Remix)*
23. Bossruu Ft. Afrotraction - Ngawe (Atjazz Love Soul Remix)*
24. The Layabouts Ft. Shea Soul - Perfectly (Atjazz Astro Remix)
25. kings Of Tomorrow Ft. April - Take Me Back (Atjazz Afrotech Remix)
26. Shea Soul - Where Did You Go (Atjazz Floor Dub)
* All available on the 3 x CD Package "Atjazz - More Than A remix" (R2 Records) here:
December 11, 2012 02:37 AM PST
This weeks Mucho Soul Show features a very special interview with Eddie Piller and Dean Rudland of Acid Jazz records who this year celebrated their 25th Anniversary. It's an in-depth look at the history, the DJ's and the music of both Acid Jazz the label and Acid Jazz the scene discussing this quite unique and dynamic movement that swept through the more discerning clubs and dance floors of the late 80's and early 90's. Eddie and Dean describe their inspirations and motives for starting the label including the early beginnings, key signings and big tunes that helped shape the scene. They also discuss "Acid Jazz The 25th Anniversary Box Set" which they compiled last month, released via Harmless which features heavily throughout the show. It's an essential download - this ones BIG!
Mucho Love Al & Ket.
1. Charles Earland - Murilley (Muse Records 1981)*
2. Ballistic Brothers - Blacker (Soundboy Entertainment 1997)*
3. S.O.H.O - Hot Music (United Sounds of America 1991)*
4. Galliano - Frederick Lies Still (Acid Jazz 1988)*
5. The Brand New Heavies - BNH (Acid Jazz 1990)*
6. Young Disciples - Get Yourself Together (Talkin' Loud 1990)*
7. Dread Flimstone - From The Ghetto (Acid Jazz 1991)*
8. Clarence Wheeler & The Enforcers - Right On (Atlantic 1970)*
9. Jimmy Smith - Who's Afraid Of Virgina Wolfe Pt.2 (Verve 1964)*
10. The Brand New Heavies - Dream Come True (Acid Jazz 1990)
11. Jamiroquai - Too Young To Die (Sony 1993)*
12. Mother Earth - Apple Green (Acid Jazz 1995)*
13. Snowboy - The New Avengers (Acid Jazz 1988)*
14. Gang Starr - Jazz Thing (CBS 1990)*
15. José Feliciano - Golden Lady (RCA 1974)*
16. Paul Weller - Above The Clouds (Go Discs 1992)
17. Terry Callier - If I Could Make You Change Your Mind (Erect Recs 1982)
18. Ivan Boogaloo Joe Jones - Black Whip (Prestige 1973)*
19. Tyrone Davis - Is It Something You Got (Dakar 1969)*
20. Arthur Miles - Helping Hand (FFRR 1990)*
21. Alice Clark - Don't You Care (Mainstream 1972)*
22. Spanky Wilson - You (Mothers Records 1969)*
23. The JTQ - Love Will Keep Us Together (Acid Jazz 1994)*
24. A Forest Mighty Black - Fresh In My Mind (Compost Recs 1994)*
* All available on Acid Jazz The Anniversary Box Set (Harmless 2012)
May 14, 2012 09:40 AM PDT
It's an interview special this week as Al & Ket present Mucho Soul in conversation with Tom Moulton!
Philadelphia International Records are currently celebrating their 40 year Anniversary and to mark this very special landmark a series of TSOP back catalogue collections have been lovingly compiled and released here in the UK via Harmless Records.
The most eagerly awaited of those releases, is the 4 CD Box set: Philadelphia International Classics - The Tom Moulton Remixes.
Join Al & Ket as they have a transatlantic chat with Tom looking back on his long musical life and discussing the foundations of his career at King and RCA records and his invention of the 12" Disco Single. They also touch on his early disco days working with The Salsoul Orchestra and Grace Jones before really getting down to business regarding his work for Kenny Gamble, Leon Huff and The famed Sigma Studios where the Sound Of Philadelphia was born.
Its a 2 hour musical journey through the days of disco and the birth of Philly and features over 20 Tom Moulton productions and remixes including the in-demand Stratavarious exclusive which received amazing response when played by Danny Krivit (Body & Soul London) and then again by the Mucho Soul boys at Bob Jones's 45 party just last week at East Village!
This ones extra special!… download now… Love Is The Message!
MFSB Love Is The Message (Tom Moulton Mix) (Harmless 2012)*
Hank Ballard & The Midnighters - The Hoochie Coochie Coo (King Records 1960)
Disco-Tex And The Sex-O-Lettes - Get Dancing (Chelsea Records 1974)
Moment Of Truth - So Much For Love (Tom Moulton Mix) (Salsoul 1976)
Ten Percent - My Love Is Free (Tom Moulton Mix) (Salsoul 1976)
Grace Jones - Do Or Die (Island Records 1978)
Grace Jones - La Vie En Rose (Tom Moulton Mix) (Island Records 1977)
The O'Jays - The Backstabbers (Tom Moulton Mix) (Harmless 2012)*
Lou Rawls - You'll Never Find Another Love Like Mine (Tom Moulton Mix) (Harmless 2012)*
The Futures - Party Time (Tom Moulton Mix) (Harmless 2012)*
The Three Degrees - When Will I See You Again (Tom Moulton Mix) (Harmless 2012)*
Harold Melvin And The Blue Notes - Don't Leave Me This Way (Tom Moulton Mix) (Harmless 2012)*
Salsoul Orchestra - 212 North 12th (Tom Moulton Mix) (Salsoul 1979)
MFSB Ft. The Three Degrees - The Sound Of Philadelphia (Tom Moulton Mix) (Harmless 2012)*
Harold Melvin And The Blue Notes - Bad Luck (Tom Moulton Mix) (Harmless 2012)*
The Trammps - Trusting Heart (Tom Moulton Mix) (Harmless 2012)*
The Jacksons - Living Together (Dimitri from Paris Edit) (BBE 2010)
TJM - I Don't Need No Music (Joey Negro Edit) (Brookside 2004)
Stratavarious - Was That All It Was (Tom Moulton Inst Mix) (Capricorn 2012)
Archie Bell & The Drells - Where Will You Go When The Party's Over (Tom Moulton Mix) (Harmless 2012)*
Stratavarious - Was That All It Was (Tom Moulton Inst Mix) (Capricorn 2012)
Ron Hall & The Muthafunkers Ft Marc Evans - The Way You Love Me (Tom Moulton Mix) (Defected 2010)
The Futures - Ain't No Time Fa Nothin (Philadelphia Int 1978)
The Intruders - Everyone's A Star (Philadelphia Int 1975)
Dexter Wansel - The Sweetest Pain (Philadelphia Int 1979)
*All available on the 2012 Harmless 4CD Box Set "Philadelphia International Classics - The Tom Moulton Mixes"
September 08, 2011 04:32 PM PDT
To mark the 25th Anniversary of Gilles Peterson broadcasts for the BBC, heres a special present from the Mucho Soul crew! This is the very first show Gilles did for the corporation back in the mid eighties! Recorded on September 2nd 1986 between 10pm and 12 midnight, Mad On Jazz aired weekly on Radio London 94.9 FM every Tuesday. There's a little bit missing mid way through the show - I must have dozed off! or popped out and forgot to flip the tape over, but hopefully this won't spoil your listening enjoyment. It's a pretty good representation of the sound of early GP and he's given us the OK to post and share with all our regular podcast listeners. So sit back, listen and raise a glass in celebration of 25 years of the finest Jazz broadcaster ever to hit our airwaves!
Mucho love, respect and thanks Gilles!
Al & Ket Mucho Soul